POSITION TITLE: Development Officer
This position is a front-line major gift fundraiser responsible for the identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors capable of giving gifts at the $25,000 level and higher to support the departments, programs, and initiatives at Fairmont State University. The individual may also assist with alumni relations, stewardship, and annual giving activities from time to time. Under the general direction of the Foundation President, this position will work to promote a giving culture that will help ensure the Fairmont State Foundation’s (FSF) multi-year revenue targets are realized.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works collectively and collaboratively with the President to develop major gift donors and prospects, with a focus on alumni, corporations, foundations, faculty, emeriti faculty, parents, and friends of the University.
- Understands basic major gift fund raising timelines, the major gift cycle, building committed supporters and developing a major gift portfolio.
- Manages a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects from initial qualification, cultivation, proposal development, solicitation and through stewardship.
- Plans, schedules, and completes frequent in and out of state travel, often overnight for multiple nights, to contact donors and prospects.
- Identifies new prospects annually to build a gift pipeline.
- Performs related administration duties by recording all contact with donors and prospects into the Foundation’s constituent management system.
- Identifies engagement opportunities for donors by working with the foundation staff, university, and alumni organizations to plan, execute and /or staff prospect cultivation, hospitality, donor stewardship, recognition programs, board meetings, academies, and other special events.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive knowledge of the University, including its mission, history, and current and future priorities, representing all aspects of the university and its opportunities and needs for private support.
- Works with the President to develop and implement an annual work plan to fulfill all quantifiable personal work performance goals for contacts, major gift solicitations, closed major gifts, new major gift prospects identified, and revenue goals as set forth by the Foundation.
- Collaborates with University deans and administrators on gift proposals for major gift prospects and to plan campus visits for alumni and other FSU constituencies.
- Drafts and executes gift agreements, gift acceptance letters, funding proposals, and other presentations associated with development work.
- Completes other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the President.
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Minimum two to five years’ experience in not-for-profit fundraising or business development.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, master’s preferred.
- Preferred two years of experience in advancement work, preferably soliciting and securing major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability to travel extensively by car/air, attend evening/weekend events, comply with travel policy/timelines.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with all constituencies, including but not limited to, speaking, writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills required to coordinate and organize a variety of complex projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows, mobile
technology, constituent management databases and professional use of social media.
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Entrepreneurial in spirit, while operating as a dedicated team player.
- Flexibility, able to easily respond to evolving requests.
May be required to use the computer screen for extensive periods of time.
Occasional lifting of 15 to 20 lbs.
Extended working hours and travel may be necessary.
Interested qualified candidates should forward a cover letter outlining how their skills and experiences match the above requirements, a current resume, and information for four professional references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "DEV" in the subject line.