DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The Director of Development for the Fairmont State will work closely with the Foundation President and team to secure donations from donors and new prospects and promote a giving culture that will help ensure the Fairmont State Foundation’s (FSF) multi-year revenue targets are realized.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works collectively and collaboratively with the President and Foundation team, as well as within Fairmont State University, to fundraise by identifying and qualifying prospective donors, cultivating positive relationships, and closing gifts at the highest levels in terms of total value and complexity of the transaction.
- Establishes rapport with donors, and easily communicates in lay language the complex, technical and diverse needs of the initiatives that the FSF is currently raising funds for.
- Understands donor wishes, providing accountability for the continued stewardship of the relationship.
- Manage an assigned portfolio of donor prospects.
- Draft and execute gift agreements, gift acceptance letters, funding proposals, and other presentations associated with development work.
- Represents FSF at key development and alumni events often occurring outside regular business hours.
- Documents all relationships and contacts within the Blackbaud Raiders Edge software system.
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in not-for-profit fundraising.
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Well-developed business writing skills with a demonstrated ability to succinctly provide useful and relevant information to donors.
- Well known for being a strong, positive team player with a collaborative work style.
- Familiarity with the philanthropic community and demonstrated/proven elevated levels of initiative.
- Knowledge of privacy regulations and rules required.
- Superior verbal and written communication ability and skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal and relationship skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage a variable and volatile workflow, which will involve multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail; highly developed recall and memory are definite assets.
- Excellent computer skills - proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, and any desktop publishing software.
- Scrupulous attention to matters of discretion when dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
- Entrepreneurial in spirit, while operating as a dedicated team player.
- Flexibility, able to easily respond to evolving requests.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively.
- May be required to use the computer screen for extensive periods of time.
- Occasional lifting of 15 to 20 lbs.
- Extended working hours and travel may be necessary
Interested qualified candidates should forward a cover letter outlining how their skills and experiences match the above requirements, a current resume, and information for four professional references via email to: email@example.com. Please include "DOD" in the subject line.